First Assist Surgical Technologist
Company: MyMichigan Health
Posted on: August 4, 2022
Summary First Assist Surgical Technologist Summary:
- New increased wages!
- Generous sign on bonus of $10,000 included!
- Full-time with benefits and immediate paid time off
- Growth opportunity within the team including on the job
training This position prepares the surgical suite for the
procedure by assisting the surgical technologist along with the
registered nurse in gathering equipment, instruments, and supplies
to perform the procedure. Assure all supplies and equipment are
available for the procedure and in working condition. This position
assists the surgeon in the care of the patient while in the
operating room through providing exposure, aid in hemostasis,
closure and other intraoperative technical functions that help the
surgeon carry out a safe operation with maximum results for the
patient. In providing proper draping, retracting, suctioning,
sponging, suturing, tissue handling and cautery techniques. The
assistant will apply appropriate dressing material specific to
procedure. This position assists the surgeon in the care of the
patient while in the operating room through utilization of the
operating room team concept. A day in the life as a First Assist
- (50%)* Demonstrates knowledge of surgical procedure, anatomy
and physiology, and operative techniques related to specific
- (20%)* Assures all necessary supplies, equipment or instruments
are opened or available. Ensure items are charged for appropriately
by confirming with nurse and surgical technologist.
- (20%)* Assists physician as directed with proper positioning,
draping, retracting, suctioning, sponging, tissue handling, cautery
techniques, stapling devices, and suturing.
- (10%)* Assists team members in transportation, positioning and
total care of patients. OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Demonstrates a broad range of knowledge with proficiency in
preparation of surgical procedures and has versatility in
applicable surgical technologist duties role if needed.
- Participates in orientation, ongoing competencies, education,
and staff development.
- Participates in regulatory surveys.
- Participates in performance improvement activities.
- Fulfills on-call responsibilities and extra shift coverage as
- Demonstrates a positive, courteous, and helpful attitude toward
patients, visitors, physicians, and co-workers.
- Remains calm and efficient when working in stressful
- Shares information and reports significant changes and./or
abnormal findings to appropriate team members.
- Attend and/or participate in professional association
activities and programs to assure being current on regulations,
guidelines, and professional standards of care.
- Remain current on new developments in healthcare by reading
professional journals and attending seminars when applicable.
- Other duties as assigned. REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE,
TRAINING AND SKILLS:
- Knowledge of surgical procedures and standards of practice
acquired through a surgical technology program accredited through
Commission on Accreditation of Alllied Health Education Program
(CAAHEP) which upon completion may certify for certified surgical
technologist exam or completion of a certified Surgical Technology
program which upon completion of program may receive a National
Center for Competency Testing (NCCT) certification.
- Certifications must be valid with National Board of Surgical
Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA) and National Center for
Competency Testing (NCCT).
- Five years experience as a surgical technologist.
- On the job trained as a First Assistant at MidMichigan or 5
years experience as a First Assistant.
- BLS required.
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Once career ladder implemented at Medical Center, first
assistant must complete skills/practice competency as described in
the career ladder for current first assistant level.
- Manual dexterity and mechanical skills needed to properly use
and hold surgical instruments.
- Interpersonal skills needed to communicate successfully with
individuals and groups and interact with people at all levels to
communicate ideas and concepts in a clear and understandable
- Certified Surgical Technologist certification preferred.
- MidMichigan Health is a technology driven organization and
employees need to demonstrate competency in Microsoft Windows.
- An employee may be required to participate in further learning
opportunities offered by MidMichigan Health. PHYSICAL/MENTAL
REQUIREMENTS AND TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS:Exposure to stressful
situations, including those involving public contact, as well as,
trauma, grief and death. Able to wear personal protective equipment
that includes latex materials or appropriate substitute if required
for your position. Is able to move freely about facility with or
without an assisted device and must be able to perform the
functions of the job as outlined in the job description. Overall
vision and hearing is necessary with or without assisted device(s).
Frequently required to sit/stand/walk for long periods of time.May
require frequent postural changes such as stooping, kneeling or
crouching. Some exposure to blood borne pathogens and other
potentially infectious material. Must follow MidMichigan Health
bloodborne pathogen and TB testing as required. Ability to handle
multiple tasks, get along with others, work independently, regular
and predictable attendance and ability to stay awake. Overall
dexterity is required including handling, reaching, grasping,
fingering and feeling. May require repetition of these movements on
a regular to frequent basis. Physical Demand Level: Medium. Must be
able to occasionally (0-33% of the workday) lift or carry 21-50
lbs., frequently 34-66% of the workday 20 lbs. and or
Walk/Stand/Push/Pull of Arm/Leg controls and constantly (67-100% or
the workday) 10 lbs.
Keywords: MyMichigan Health, Midland , First Assist Surgical Technologist, Healthcare , Midland, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!