Company: MyMichigan Health
Posted on: August 4, 2022
Summary MEDICAL TECHNOLOGIST - BAY CITY
- Newly updated competitive wage scale
- Access to growth opportunities MEDICAL TECHNOLOGIST DUTIES AND
- Meets Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA)
- Collection, processing, and analysis of biological specimens in
the laboratory. Including the preparation of reagents and
comprehensive knowledge of specimen collection (such as
venipuncture or collecting hazardous or infectious materials for
culture) in order to act as backup to phlebotomy team and may
perform venipuncture and/or collect cultures.
- Appraises results to distinguish normal and abnormal values,
performs calculations, prepares and distributes written, electronic
(e.g. LIS), and verbal reports.
- Evaluates appropriateness of patient and quality control
results and enters into the Laboratory Information System. Strictly
follows critical notification policy when results meet stated
- Follows all laboratory safety policies and procedures.
- Maintains inventory through first in first out (FIFO)
principals including ordering, stocking, and managing
- Disposes of biohazards, chemicals, etc. in a safe manner
following department procedure.
- Performs preventative maintenance of instruments and
- Assists in training new technologists and medical technology
- Works with section leaders to organize workflow and optimize
- Supervision Exercised: Limited in the absence of Technical
Specialist and/or Manager.
- For high complexity tests, this position may serve as a general
supervisor (CLIA definition), defined in laboratory policy.
REQUIRED EDUCATION: Medical Laboratory Technician OR Medical
Technologist OR Medical Laboratory Scientist Degree Required
- Medical Technologist (MT) / Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS)
= Bachelor's Degree Required Those certified prior to 2004 by the
Department of Health Services (HHS formally HEW), the American
Association of Bioanalysts (AAB) and the American Medical
Technologists (AMT), or the American Society of Clinical
Pathologists (ASCP). No requirement to recertify.
- Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT) = Associate's Degree
Required Those certified after 2004 by the American Society of
Clinical Pathologists (ASCP). Certification will remain valid for a
period of three years. In order to maintain certification, must
complete the Certification Maintenance Program (CMP) every three
years. REQUIRED EXPERIENCE, TRAINING, AND SKILLS:
- Must be registered as an MLT, MT or MLS with the ASCP, NCA,
and/or HEW within 6 months of hire or transfer.
- Organizational skills needed to prioritize daily workload.
- Written, verbal, and interpersonal skills needed to communicate
successfully with individuals and groups and interact with
employees at all levels within the Medical Center to communicate
ideas and concepts in a clear and concise manner.
- Basic knowledge of laboratory instruments needed to
- Demonstrates knowledge, ability and competence in providing
clinical data needed for the treatment of patients ranging in age
from birth to 100+ years.
- MyMichigan Health is a technology driven organization and
employees need to demonstrate competency in Microsoft Windows.
- Mandatory Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
training must also be completed annually according to the Exposure
- An employee may be required to participate in further learning
opportunities offered by MyMichigan Health. PHYSICAL/MENTAL
REQUIREMENTS AND TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS: Exposure to stressful
situations, including those involving public contact, as well as,
trauma, grief and death. Able to wear personal protective equipment
that includes latex materials or appropriate substitute if required
for your position. Is able to move freely about facility with or
without an assisted device and must be able to perform the
functions of the job as outlined in the job description. Overall
vision and hearing is necessary with or without assisted device(s).
Frequently required to sit/stand/walk for long periods of time. May
require frequent postural changes such as stooping, kneeling or
crouching. Some exposure to bloodborne pathogens and other
potentially infectious material. Must follow MyMichigan Health
bloodborne pathogen and TB testing as required. Ability to handle
multiple tasks, get along with others, work independently, regular
and predictable attendance and ability to stay awake. Overall
dexterity is required including handling, reaching, grasping,
fingering and feeling. May require repetition of these movements on
a regular to frequent basis. Physical Demand Level: Light. Must be
able to occasionally (0-33% of the workday) lift or carry 11-20
lbs., frequently (34-66% of the workday) 10 lbs. and or
Walk/Stand/Push/Pull of Arm/Leg controls.
Keywords: MyMichigan Health, Midland , Medical Technologist, Healthcare , Midland, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!