Sr First Assistant Nurse (RN)
Company: MyMichigan Health
Posted on: August 4, 2022
Summary Sr First Assistant Nurse(RN) Position Summary: Under
general direction of nursing leadership, the Sr. First Assistant RN
works in collaboration with the surgeon and health care team
members to achieve optimal patient outcomes for the surgical
patient. The Sr. First Assistant RN uses their clinical judgment
and skills acquired through RN licensure and specialized First
Assistant training to provide safe competent surgical first
assisting skills to the surgeon and patient. This position links
nursing leadership with nursing care through the application of
organizational and nursing service policies, procedures, and care
delivery model. The Sr. First Assistant RN uses the Code of Ethics
for Nurses with Interpretive Statements to guide leadership and
practice. The Sr. First Assistant RN attains knowledge and
competence reflective of current nursing practice; promotes
innovation and futuristic thinking by incorporating evidence based
practice and research findings. A day in the life as a Sr First
Assistant Nurse (RN) with MidMichigan Health:
- (40%)* Functions as first assistant to the surgeon.
Demonstrates knowledge of surgical procedure, anatomy and
physiology, and operative techniques related to specific
- (30%)* Assists physician as directed with proper draping,
retracting, suctioning, sponging, tissue handling, cautery
techniques, stapling devices, suturing
- (10%)* First Assistants must be able to navigate through the
PACS system and EMR
- (10%)* Assures all necessary supplies, equipment or instruments
are opened or available.
- (10%)* Assures that all special instruments are assembled,
disassembled, cleaned and maintained properly. OTHER DUTIES AND
- Assists team members in transportation, positioning and total
care of patients.
- Demonstrates a broad range of knowledge with proficiency in
preparation of surgical procedures and has versatility in filling
- In the performance of the regular job duties, it is appropriate
for this job code to have access to the medication dispenser and to
- Participates in the training of new personnel.
- Participates in staff development by attending
- Covers call shifts and overtime as assigned.
- Demonstrates a positive, courteous and helpful attitude toward
patients, visitors, physicians, and co-workers.
- Other duties as assigned. REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE,
TRAINING AND SKILLS:
- Associate Degree in Nursing required, Bachelor Degree in
- Licensed Registered Nurse in the State of Michigan
- Knowledge of surgical practices and procedures required.
- Manual dexterity and mechanical skills needed to properly use
and hold surgical instruments.
- Interpersonal skills needed to communicate successfully with
individuals and groups and interact with people at all levels to
communicate ideas and concepts in a clear and understandable
- Certified Nurse of the Operating Room (CNOR) at the time of
- CSFA, CSA, SA-C, CRNFA preferred.
- At least 5 years intraoperative experience preferred.
- MidMichigan Health is a technology driven organization and
employees need to demonstrate competency in Microsoft Windows.
- An employee may be required to participate in further learning
opportunities offered by MidMichigan Health. PHYSICAL/MENTAL
REQUIREMENTS AND TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS:Exposure to stressful
situations, including those involving public contact, as well as,
trauma, grief and death. Able to wear personal protective equipment
that includes latex materials or appropriate substitute if required
for your position. Is able to move freely about facility with or
without an assisted device and must be able to perform the
functions of the job as outlined in the job description. Overall
vision and hearing is necessary with or without assisted device(s).
Frequently required to sit/stand/walk for long periods of time.May
require frequent postural changes such as stooping, kneeling or
crouching. Some exposure to blood borne pathogens and other
potentially infectious material. Must follow MidMichigan Health
bloodborne pathogen and TB testing as required. Ability to handle
multiple tasks, get along with others, work independently, regular
and predictable attendance and ability to stay awake. Overall
dexterity is required including handling, reaching, grasping,
fingering and feeling. May require repetition of these movements on
a regular to frequent basis. Physical Demand Level: Medium. Must be
able to occasionally (0-33% of the workday) lift or carry 21-50
lbs., frequently 34-66% of the workday 20 lbs. and or
Walk/Stand/Push/Pull of Arm/Leg controls and constantly (67-100% or
the workday) 10 lbs.
Keywords: MyMichigan Health, Midland , Sr First Assistant Nurse (RN), Healthcare , Midland, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!