Surgical Technologist - Open Heart
Company: MyMichigan Health
Posted on: August 4, 2022
Summary Surgical Technologist - Open Heart Position Summary:
$10,000 Sign on bonus included! This position prepares the surgical
suite for the procedure by assisting the surgical technologist
along with the registered nurse in gathering equipment,
instruments, and supplies to perform the procedure. Assure all
supplies and equipment are available for the procedure and in
working condition. This position assists the surgeon in the care of
the patient while in the operating room through providing exposure,
aid in hemostasis, closure and other intraoperative technical
functions that help the surgeon carry out a safe operation with
maximum results for the patient. In providing proper draping,
retracting, suctioning, sponging, suturing, tissue handling and
cautery techniques. The assistant will apply appropriate dressing
material specific to procedure. This position assists the surgeon
in the care of the patient while in the operating room through
utilization of the operating room team concept.
A day in the life as a Surgical Technologist - Open Heart with
- (30%)* Demonstrates knowledge of surgical procedures and
ability to problem solve in relation to the procedure being
performed. Verifies items on the physician preference card.
Accountable for supplies so that accurate patient charges are
- (30%)* Demonstrates proper use of equipment, assembling of
equipment, disposables as well as cleaning and sterilizing. Assures
all equipment, supplies and instruments are assembled correctly and
in working condition for the surgical procedure.
- (30%)* Maintains the sterile environments. Monitors the sterile
field and recognizes breaks in technique.
- (10%)* Sets up sterile field with instruments in a timely
manner. Keeps accurate account of all medications, sponges,
instruments and sharps on the sterile fields per policy. OTHER
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Demonstrates a positive, courteous and helpful attitude toward
patient, visitors, physicians, and co-workers.
- Develops and maintains good working rapport with
interdisciplinary personnel to meet the needs of each patient.
- Remains calm and efficient when working in stressful
- Shares information and reports significant changes and/or
abnormal findings to appropriate team members.
- Participates in regulatory surveys.
- Participates in performance improvement activities.
- Assists with orientation, ongoing competencies, education, and
- Attends and participates in professional association activities
and programs to assure being current on regulations, guidelines,
and professional standards of care.
- Remains current on new developments by reading professional
journals, and attending seminars.
- Fulfills on-call responsibilities and extra shift coverage as
- Other duties as assigned. REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE,
TRAINING AND SKILLS:
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Associate's degree in Surgical Technology preferred.
- Knowledge of surgical procedures and standards of practice
acquired through a surgical technology program accredited through
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Program
(CAAHEP) or military program. Upon completion may certify for
certified surgical technologist exam or completion of a certified
Surgical Technology program which upon completion of program may
receive a National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT)
certification. Certifications must be valid with National Board of
Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA) and National
Center for Competency Testing (NCCT).
- Knowledge of surgical procedures and standards of practice
through 6 months to 1 year experience working in the medical center
or similar setting.
- Surgical Technologist II independently scrubs basic surgical
- Operating room competency must be maintained.
- Manual dexterity and mechanical skills needed to properly use
and hold surgical instruments.
- Interpersonal skills needed to communicate successfully with
individuals and groups and interact with people at all levels to
communicate ideas and concepts in a clear and understandable
- A surgical tech who graduated from a CAAHEP-accredited surgical
tech program or military surgical tech training program.
- Associate in Surgical Technology, certification in surgical
- Surgical Tech who graduated with a certificate who holds the
certification Tech in Surgery-Certified TS-C preferred.
- MidMichigan Health is a technology driven organization and
employees need to demonstrate competency in Microsoft Windows.
- An employee may be required to participate in further learning
opportunities offered by MidMichigan Health. PHYSICAL/MENTAL
REQUIREMENTS AND TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS:Exposure to stressful
situations, including those involving public contact, as well as,
trauma, grief and death. Able to wear personal protective equipment
that includes latex materials or appropriate substitute if required
for your position. Is able to move freely about facility with or
without an assisted device and must be able to perform the
functions of the job as outlined in the job description. Overall
vision and hearing is necessary with or without assisted device(s).
Frequently required to sit/stand/walk for long periods of time.May
require frequent postural changes such as stooping, kneeling or
crouching. Some exposure to blood borne pathogens and other
potentially infectious material. Must follow MidMichigan Health
bloodborne pathogen and TB testing as required. Ability to handle
multiple tasks, get along with others, work independently, regular
and predictable attendance and ability to stay awake. Overall
dexterity is required including handling, reaching, grasping,
fingering and feeling. May require repetition of these movements on
a regular to frequent basis. Physical Demand Level: Medium. Must be
able to occasionally (0-33% of the workday) lift or carry 21-50
lbs., frequently 34-66% of the workday 20 lbs. and or
Walk/Stand/Push/Pull of Arm/Leg controls and constantly (67-100% or
the workday) 10 lbs.
Keywords: MyMichigan Health, Midland , Surgical Technologist - Open Heart, Healthcare , Midland, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!