Company: MyMichigan Health
Posted on: August 4, 2022
Summary Pharmacist Position Summary: The Home Infusion
pharmacist is responsible for the daily operations of the pharmacy.
This position screens physician orders to ensure the correct
medications are given to individual patients that range in age from
birth to 100+ years assuring that the most correct drug and dose is
prescribed, dispensed, administered and properly monitored. Screens
orders for proper drug & dosage, drug interaction, adverse
reactions, allergies, and contraindications. Researches and answers
drug information questions and provide various clinical pharmacy
services. This position will have oversight of and responsibility
for drug inventory, pharmacy dispensing technology, patient safety
and quality improvement. A day in the life as a Pharmacist with
- (15%)* Ensures operational efficiency, employee and patient
safety and quality improvement at the Home Infusion pharmacy.
- (15%)* Responsible for drug inventory optimization.
- (15%)* Ensures productivity, compliance with policy and
- (25%)* Receives and reviews all prescriptions for correctness
and appropriateness and dispenses the most appropriate medications
for individual patients.
- (30%)* Doses patients on any medications provided by the
kinetics service and follows kinetic policies and procedures.
Manages dosing of renally eliminated drugs, TPN and other
medications as needed. OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for oversight of pharmacy staffing and coordinating
medication delivery with Home Care Warehouse staff.
- Participates in after hours and weekend on-call rotation.
- Responsible for the pharmacy workflow and leadership and
communication between the Home Infusion team.
- Follows up on problems. Supervises the preparation of
intravenous admixtures and parenteral products.
- Provides and documents drug information to healthcare
professionals and patients.
- Maintains the pharmacy inventory. Places orders for
supplies/meds as needed.
- Recommends antibiotics, when to switch patients to oral therapy
and advises on duplicate therapies.
- Involved in teaching of patients, students, or other healthcare
professionals, i.e., discharge counseling, inservices, and hands on
teaching of students.
- Also involved in the training of new pharmacists and pharmacy
interns and residents.
- Demonstrates exceptional customer service in dealing with
referral sources, patients, co-workers and other affiliates.
- Responsible for formulating new/revised pharmacy policies and
procedures through actual revision or participation in performance
- Participates in patient care conferences with nursing,
physicians, dietitians, social workers and other health
professionals to provide multidisciplinary approach to the care of
- Compounds IV and piggyback medications, TPNs, and narcotic
drips. Also makes all biohazard IVs, including IVIG/Gammagard,
Remicade, etc. using aseptic technique and universal
- Follows USP 797 guidelines. MidMichigan Health is a technology
driven organization and employees need to demonstrate competency in
- An employee may be required to participate in further learning
opportunities offered by MidMichigan Health.
- Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, TRAINING AND SKILLS:
- Bachelors Degree Required
- CSL PHAR
- OIG (Annually on hire date
- Current licensure in the State of Michigan required. Candidates
with Bachelor's degree in pharmacy must have five (5) years of
experience. Annual completion of 15 hours of continued education
required. One (1) year experience working in Home Infusion
required. completion of a 6 year Pharm. D degree preferred. One (1)
to three (3) years experience working in a medical center pharmacy
- Must have five (5) years of experience.
- Annual completion of 15 hours of continued education
- One (1) year experience working in Home Infusion required.
- Basic knowledge of personal computer needed to enter
- Organizational skills needed to prioritize multiple tasks.
- Interpersonal skills needed to communicate successfully with
individuals and groups and interact with people at all levels to
communicate ideas and concepts in a clear and understanding
- Provides for the age specific needs of the population served
according to department standards and policies/procedures as
evidenced by observation, documentation, and peer feedback.
- Mandatory tuberculosis (TB) testing must as required.
- Mandatory Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
training must be completed annually according to the Exposure
- One (1) to three (3) years experience working in a medical
center pharmacy setting preferred. PHYSICAL/MENTAL REQUIREMENTS AND
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS:Exposure to stressful situations,
including those involving public contact, as well as, trauma, grief
and death. Able to wear personal protective equipment that includes
latex materials or appropriate substitute if required for your
position. Is able to move freely about facility with or without an
assisted device and must be able to perform the functions of the
job as outlined in the job description. Overall vision and hearing
is necessary with or without assisted device(s). Frequently
required to sit/stand/walk for long periods of time.May require
frequent postural changes such as stooping, kneeling or crouching.
Some exposure to blood borne pathogens and other potentially
infectious material. Must follow MidMichigan Health bloodborne
pathogen and TB testing as required. Ability to handle multiple
tasks, get along with others, work independently, regular and
predictable attendance and ability to stay awake. Overall dexterity
is required including handling, reaching, grasping, fingering and
feeling. May require repetition of these movements on a regular to
frequent basis.Physical Demand Level: Light. Must be able to
occasionally (0-33% of the workday) lift or carry 11-20 lbs.,
frequently (34-66% of the workday) 10 lbs. and or
Walk/Stand/Push/Pull of Arm/Leg controls.
Keywords: MyMichigan Health, Midland , Pharmacist, Healthcare , Midland, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!