Registered Nurse RN - Open Heart
Company: MyMichigan Health
Posted on: August 4, 2022
Summary Registered Nurse RN - Open Heart Position Summary: This
position is responsible for assessing the needs of each patient
before and during a surgical procedure, and maintains patient
safety. The RN outlines individual care plans, implements,
evaluates and documents care of patient during surgical procedures.
Provides leadership to the OR team. Communicates with the patient
and family, OR team, supervisor, manager and ancillary departments.
Participates in staff development through preceptorship and
continuing education. A day in the life as a Registered Nurse RN -
Open Heart with MyMichigan Health:
- (40%)* Assesses the needs of the surgical patient and develops
a plan of care specific for that patient. Implements and evaluates
the plan of care during the procedure, and makes necessary
adjustments keeping patient safety a priority.
- (30%)* Supervises activity in the room. Anticipates and
coordinates any schedule changes for the room. Assembles equipment
and supplies. Assists anesthesia as necessary. Monitors sterile
- (20%)* Communicates with patient, family, physician, OR team,
supervisor/manager, and ancillary departments.
- (10%)* Participates in staff development by attending
in-services, educational meetings, staff meetings, and other
meetings/seminars for educational opportunity along with leadership
and growth opportunity. OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Demonstrates a positive, courteous and helpful attitude toward
the patient, visitors, physicians and co-workers.
- Demonstrates ability to fill varying roles as necessary.
- Demonstrates the ability to interpret information and reports
pertinent data to the physician, including pertinent clinical
- Assess learning needs of the patient considering readiness,
ability, preferences, and cultural / spiritual variables.
- Provide education to meet the individual patient needs and
ability to learn.
- Develops and maintains good working rapport with
interdisciplinary personnel to meet the needs of each patient.
- Possesses a thorough knowledge of normal pre-operative,
intra-operative and post-operative routine.
- Able to recognize deficiencies in routine and correct.
- Demonstrates a good basic knowledge of anesthetic agents and
their side effects/complications.
- Possesses thorough knowledge of individual physician
- Demonstrates appropriate communication and assessment skills
with both family and patient.
- Seeks assistance of necessary support services to guarantee
appropriate home care.
- Completes appropriate charting and documentation according to
policy, standards, and procedures.
- Fulfills on-call responsibilities and extra shift coverage as
- Demonstrates assessment of pain, promotes comfort through
required intervention, and documents accordingly.
- Demonstrates the ability to organize and prioritize.
- Demonstrates effective leadership skills when in the operative
suite daily with other operating team members and maintains good
- Demonstrates a general ability to manage assignments and
perform routine duties in the department.
- Instructs other team members when appropriate, explaining goals
and rationale for individualized care.
- Implements clinical and technical aspects of care in accordance
with established policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates understanding of clinical pathways and utilizes
- Remains calm and efficient when working in stressful
- Documents in an accurate, clear, and concise way and includes
pertinent clinical data.
- Shares information and reports significant changes and/or
abnormal findings to appropriate team members and physician.
- Participates in regulatory surveys.
- Participates in the performance improvement activities.
- Assists with orientation and ongoing competencies.
- Provides a safe and secure environment for patient care.
- Attend and participate in professional association activities
and programs to assure being current on regulations, guidelines,
and professional standards.
- Remains current on new developments by reading professional
journals, and attending seminars.
- Demonstrates understanding of role in emergency preparedness
- Other duties as assigned. REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE,
TRAINING AND SKILLS:
- Associate Degree in Nursing required, BSN preferred.
- One year nursing experience or perioperative experience.
Leadership skills needed to effectively direct a group.
- Interpersonal skills needed to communicate successfully with
individuals and groups and interact with people at all levels to
communicate ideas and concepts in a clear and understandable
- Two years of nursing experience either in the critical units or
emergency department preferred.
- Certified Surgical Tech (CST) with RN license or first
assistant with RN license preferred.
- MidMichigan Health is a technology driven organization and
employees need to demonstrate competency in Microsoft Windows.
- An employee may be required to participate in further learning
opportunities offered by MidMichigan Health. PHYSICAL/MENTAL
REQUIREMENTS AND TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS:Exposure to stressful
situations, including those involving public contact, as well as,
trauma, grief and death. Able to wear personal protective equipment
that includes latex materials or appropriate substitute if required
for your position. Is able to move freely about facility with or
without an assisted device and must be able to perform the
functions of the job as outlined in the job description. Overall
vision and hearing is necessary with or without assisted device(s).
Frequently required to sit/stand/walk for long periods of time.May
require frequent postural changes such as stooping, kneeling or
crouching. Some exposure to blood borne pathogens and other
potentially infectious material. Must follow MidMichigan Health
bloodborne pathogen and TB testing as required. Ability to handle
multiple tasks, get along with others, work independently, regular
and predictable attendance and ability to stay awake. Overall
dexterity is required including handling, reaching, grasping,
fingering and feeling. May require repetition of these movements on
a regular to frequent basis. Physical Demand Level: Medium. Must be
able to occasionally (0-33% of the workday) lift or carry 21-50
lbs., frequently 34-66% of the workday 20 lbs. and or
Walk/Stand/Push/Pull of Arm/Leg controls and constantly (67-100% or
the workday) 10 lbs.
Keywords: MyMichigan Health, Midland , Registered Nurse RN - Open Heart, Healthcare , Midland, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!