Company: MyMichigan Health
Posted on: August 4, 2022
Summary General Summary The genetic counselor provides genetic
clinic under the direction of the hematologist/oncologist and
director for oncology services. The counselor provides intake for
referrals, collect data from patients and their families, develop
pedigrees and determine the statistical risk based on the pedigree
for the genetic markers available for a variety of specific cancers
and other diseases. The genetic counselor will then provide
consultation regarding testing and the follow up/outcome from the
test results. Information is provided back to patient, families and
referring physicians for proper follow up. This position provides
services throughout the health system, so travel is required to the
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- (25%)* Counsel patients and their families on the implications
of genetic testing and follow up that is necessary once results are
- (20%)* Intake patient and family referrals to the genetic
clinic and develops patient and family pedigrees prior to first
- (20%)* Schedule patients and families for initial and
disclosure genetic clinic visits.
- (10%)* Participates in breast, general and thoracic cancer
conferences as well as weekly Genetics Case presentation with the
University of Michigan.
- (10%)* Participates in Breast Program Leadership and Cancer
Committees at both Midland and Gratiot. (10%)* Promote the genetic
counseling program by education referring physicians and the
communities we serve on the appropriate referrals and use of
genetic counseling and testing.
- (5%)* Continues to stay abreast of new information as it
relates to genetic counseling and testing for different cancers and
cancer syndromes. OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Works with insurance companies for prior authorization for
genetic counseling and testing.
- Refer patients for genetic testing following initial counseling
session if they choose to be tested.
- Disclose results from genetic testing to patients and their
families and provide referrals for any needed services or follow up
based on the test results.
- Maintain accurate, complete and timely documentation of all
genetic referrals and clinics.
- Provide data and reports on the genetic clinic on a monthly
- Complete charge sheet for visit(s) to genetic clinic for
MidMichigan Physician Group to process.
- Serve as a spokesperson for the genetic program at MidMichigan
- Other duties as assigned. EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, TRAINING AND
- Master's Degree in Genetic Counseling required
- Certified Genetic Counselor certification must be obtained
within 2 years of hire or transfer to position and maintained
- Board certified in Genetic Counseling at hire, preferred.
- Computer skills required in Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, and
- An employee may be required to participate in further learning
opportunities offered by MidMichigan Health.
- Experience as a genetic counselor in the area of adult oncology
- Ability to do public speaking preferred. PHYSICAL/MENTAL
REQUIREMENTS AND TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Exposure to stressful situations, including those involving
public contact, as well as, trauma, grief and death.
- Able to wear personal protective equipment that includes latex
materials or appropriate substitute if required for your
- Is able to move freely about facility with or without an
assisted device and must be able to perform the functions of the
job as outlined in the job description.
- Overall vision and hearing is necessary with or without
- Frequently required to sit/stand/walk for long periods of
- May require frequent postural changes such as stooping,
kneeling or crouching.
- Some exposure to blood borne pathogens and other potentially
- Must follow MidMichigan Health bloodborne pathogen and TB
testing as required.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, get along with others, work
independently, regular and predictable attendance and ability to
- Overall dexterity is required including handling, reaching,
grasping, fingering and feeling.
- May require repetition of these movements on a regular to
- Physical Demand Level: Sedentary. Must be able to occasionally
(0-33% of the workday) lift or carry 0-10 lbs.
Keywords: MyMichigan Health, Midland , Genetic Counselor, Other , Midland, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!